Australia in Switzerland
Bern and Geneva
Switzerland, Liechtenstein

Buying and Selling Property in Australia

Buying and Selling Property in Australia

The Australian Consulate-General, Geneva can witness your signature on some land, mortgage or property documents for the buying and selling of property in Australia only.

As part of this process, we can also certify documents and complete the  DFAT Identity Certificate. We cannot provide legal advice or any information on documents required. You should request confirmation on documents required from the requesting authority.

DFAT Identity Certificate

Consular staff can complete the DFAT Identity Certificate - Witnessing signature and/or identity certification for land, property or mortgage transactions. We will not sign any other 'Identifiers Certificates' or 'Verification of Identity Certificates'. Check the requirements with the requesting authority in Australia and ask them if you need a DFAT Identity Certificate before visiting the Australian Consulate. 

More information on the DFAT Identity certificate can be found at:  Notarial services overseas

Is an Appointment required?

An appointment to attend in person is required for witnessing signatures and identity verification on property documents. Please see our notarial appointment page. You will be asked to provide a scanned copy of your documents and the instructions from the requesting/receiving authority to allow us to prepare for your appointment and to ensure we have the correct Consular staff present for your appointment. We cannot provide legal advice or any information on documents required.

Important: Please note that some Australian states/territories require a Diplomatic Officer to witness documents, rather than a permanent consular employee - flexibility in scheduling these appointments is therefore required – it is your responsibility to determine who is an acceptable witness – check with the receiving authority).

What to bring to your appointment?

  • Your passport.
  • Instructions from your Australian legal practitioner, law practice licensed conveyancer, or mortgagee (bank etc.) asking the Consulate to witness your mortgage documents/complete a DFAT identity certificate/certify documents (you will be asked to email the documentation/instructions from the requesting authority to us before your appointment).
  • Your documents for witnessing (Do not sign before the appointment).
  • Photo identification (documents, ID card) and other documents to be certified. You will need to have photo ID that matches the name on the document you are signing.
  • Your credit/debit card for payment Fees - Passport and Notarial Services