Australian Permanent Mission and Consulate-General
Switzerland, Liechtenstein

Child Passport - Feb18

Passports: Child passport (under 18 years of age) - Apply for their first passport or renewals



Step 1- Make an appointment to lodge your passport application

The Passport Office operates an appointment system. We will not see you without an appointment.

Passports Office location:

Chemin des Fins 2
1218 Grand-Saconnex

Geneva appointment times are normally booked-out up to 2 weeks in advance. Please keep this in mind when making your travel plans.



Step 2 - Fill out your application form (Australian Passport Overseas Application

Please do not use whiteout on the declaration section. If you make a mistake, you can cross it out and initial next to the change. If you have signed incorrectly, please fill in a new form.


Note: You cannot download blank forms.


By mail: We can send you a paper copy of the application by mail. Call us at +41 22 799 9100 or email to request an application form.

Step 3 - Prove the child’s identity and Australian citizenship

Each child passport application must be supported by the child’s original Australian Citizenship Certificate or original full Australian Birth Certificate to prove Australian citizenship. Extracts, commemorative birth certificate or birth cards cannot be used.  If your child was born in Australia after 20 August 1986, you must also provide one of the following four documents:

  1. The child’s Australian passport issued on/after 1 January 2000 that was valid for 2 years or more; or
  2. One parent’s Australian birth certificate; or
  3. One parent’s Australian passport, issued after 20/8/1986, that was valid at the time of the applicant’s birth; or
  4. One parent’s Australian citizenship certificate, valid at the time of the applicant’s birth.

If you are unable to provide the above documents, you must get a certificate of citizenship. Please refer to Please refer to the Australian Citizenship section on the Department of Home Affairs website for further information.

If the child was born in Switzerland or anywhere outside of Australia, you must provide the child’s original birth certificate and the original Australian citizenship certificate before a passport can be issued. You can apply for citizenship by descent through the Australian High Commission in London. See the Australian Citizenship section on the Department of Home Affairs website for further information. The Australian Consulate-General in Geneva CANNOT assist or answer questions concerning citizenship. Processing time for citizenship by descent applications is approximately 1 month (and passport an additional 3 weeks) so please keep this in mind when making your travel plans.

If the child has a birth certificate in a language other than English, you must provide an English translation provided by a registered translation service.

Step 4 – Written consent from parents

Written consent must be given by each person who has parental responsibility for the child. Generally, people with parental responsibility are the parents named on the child's full birth certificate.

If those with parental responsibility are in different locations when the child's passport application is lodged, the non-lodging parent can provide written consent through a passport office in Australia, at Australia Post or an Australian diplomatic or consular mission overseas.

The consent declaration must be read and signed by the parents or persons with parental responsibility for the child.  Section 13 (A) and 14 (A) must be your exact name as shown on your child’s birth certificate.  Section 13 (B) and Section 14 (B) must be your most current name as shown on your ID documents, eg. your Australian Passport or  foreign ID card. 

The signatures must be witnessed as instructed on the application form. The witness cannot be related to the child and the family by birth or marriage or be in a de facto relationship with either of the child's parents or live at the same address. A different person may witness the signature of each person giving consent. The child's guarantor may witness the consent.

If you are unable to provide evidence of full consent for the child to be issued with a passport, you can request that the child’s passport application be considered under special circumstances provisions. Please email to request an appointment once the application form and supplementary forms are completed.

Step 5 - Take two passport photos.

Some photo shops may not have the most updated Australian passport photo specifications. Home-printed photos are usually not acceptable as there are strict requirements. Please carefully check on the Passport photo guidelines to avoid rejection.  

The “crown of head” is where the top of your skull would be if it were visible. It is not the top of your hair or the start of your hairline. Picture yourself bald and measure from the top of your skull to the tip of your chin.

Your Guarantor (see Step 6) must endorse one photo in black pen as follows: “This is a true photo of [the applicant’s full name]”, and then sign it below. Do not use paper clips, glue or staples to attach photos to the form as this may make them unusable.

Step 6 – Guarantor

As well as endorsing the child’s photo, ensure Section 11 is completed by a guarantor who meets the following criteria:

  • is 18 years of age or over
  • has known the applicant for at least 12 months
  • is not related to the applicant by birth, marriage, de facto or same sex relationship, or live at the applicant's address
  • Australian citizen that holds a current (unexpired) Australian passport that was issued with at least two years validity


  • Foreign national who is currently employed in one of the following approved professional/occupational groups.
    • Accountants with membership of an association
    • Barrister, Solicitors & Patent Attorneys
    • Chartered Professional Engineers
    • Civil Servants - with at least 5 years continuous full-time service
    • Dentists
    • Judges
    • Registered Marriage Celebrants
    • Registered Pharmacists
    • Registered Chiropractors
    • Registered Physiotherapists
    • Registered Optometrists
    • Registered Mid-wives
    • Police Officers - with at least 5 years continuous full-time service
    • Registered Medical Practitioners (Doctors and GPs only)
    • Registered Nurses
    • Registered Veterinary Surgeons
    • Registered Teachers - with at least 5 years continuous full-time service
Step 7 – Additional documents 

check the Australian Passport Office’s Children’s Passport page to see if you need to provide supplementary information. 

If yours or the other parent’s current name is different to the name as it appears on the child’s birth certificate, you must provide documents as proof of name change such as a marriage certificate, divorce certificate or name change certificate.

Step 8 - Print the application form and sign in BLACK PEN  

Children aged 10 and over need to sign the application form in the box provided (section 18).

Step 9Lodge your application and pay your fee.  

Applications need to be lodged in person by a parent or the person with parental responsibility. Children aged 16 or 17 must accompany their parent to lodge an application. Children aged 0-15 are not required to attend. You must make an appointment.

Things to bring:

  1. The completed and signed Australian Passport Overseas Application form.
  2. The child’s most recent Australian passport, if applicable.
  3. Proof of the child’s citizenship and birth certificate (see Step 3).
  4. Two passport photos (see Step 5).
  5. Additional documents (see Step 7).
  6. Proof of your own identity that has a photo and signature.  If you have an Australian passport please bring that along.  
  7. A credit card to pay the fee in Geneva.
Step 10 - Step 9 - Allow up to 3 weeks to receive your new passport.

If you have any questions, call us at +41 22 799 9100 or email at